Checklist before collecting your puppy
January 22, 2020
The day is almost upon you. You can finally pick your new family member up and take them back to their forever home.
Before you arrive at the breeder and get all wrapped up in how cute your puppy is, you should plan what you need to collect, do and ask your breeder. Here’s a helpful reminder list.
- Collect any Kennel Club registration papers if your puppy is a pedigree
- Your puppy should already have her microchip, make sure you get the paperwork for that
- You’ll want a contract or receipt for any money that exchanges hands
- Your puppy should have had a first round of vaccinations. You should get the paperwork for that. You want to know the vet they used and the exact date of the vaccinations too.
- Your puppy will have already been checked by a vet, so you want details of that visit - Especially tests performed for breed specific issues.
- Ask the breeder what food schedule your puppy is on right now. Also, how often a day and what times she is fed. You can then very slowly adjust this routine if you need to.
- Ask what food the breeder has been feeding your puppy. Ideally they’ll give you some to take home with you. Either way you need to slowly introduce whatever food you decide is best and wean her off her old food. Again, this should be done very slowly to avoid tummy upset and the resulting mess!
- You should ask to take a blanket home that has the scent of her mum and litter mates. This will make her journey more comfortable and feel more at home
- Check when she was last wormed so you know what schedule you’re on
- Finally. ask what time she was last fed today
Oh and don’t forget your puppy. That should’ve been number 1!